4.23.2010

Ribbon Cutting

My husband and I have been meat-free for three years now. In an attempt to be a good domestic partner, I would volunteer to make dinner. My special talent was ruining everything I made. I burned chicken breasts in a George Foreman Grill. My eggs would still have eggshells in them. My chocolate cakes became brownies. Then, I had an epiphany: veggies don’t need to be fully-cooked to be safely consumed! What an idea!

Since I was still the main chef in the relationship and my husband (then, boyfriend) still ate meat, I cooked my yummy portion of vegetarian meal and threw in some bland chicken strips on the side (heated up in the microwave) for him. A month later, on Earth Day, after bingeing at a Brazilian all-you-can-eat meat buffet, he gave up meat. We both agree we felt healthier, lighter and had more energy.

A few months later I became vegan. I cut out dairy cold turkey. I admit there were times I’ve fallen off the wagon but for the most part, I had the intention to remain dairy-free. After going through an entire pregnancy with our daughter as a vegan, we decided once solids were introduced, we would become a vegan family. This blog will not only document our journey but also serve as a resource for anyone interested in becoming vegan, incorporating more meat and dairy-free meals in their day or even raising a vegan family. I am excited to share this part of our lives with you and hope you can find some of the presented ideas useful!

4 comments:

  1. Yay! I can't wait to keep reading . . although I am weird and have to readjust even more to make everything Gluten-Free . . . This blog is going to help me so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have any problems with not eating too much soy? There are so many hormones in it and with all the substitutions being soy, I had a really hard time with all the added hormones. Really threw my system off. Love hearing about your vegan adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if we will ever give up the meat, but I am all over new veggie dishes. As usual, beautiful pictures. Bravo Camie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie, I have no problems at all. I grew up eating soy products (tofu, soymilk, etc.) But eventually you just decrease the soy substitutions and incorporate whole grains like tempeh patties. The beginning can be tough and soy meats are great to transition. But again, after a while the soy meats don't taste as great and you look for more nutritious and wholesome substitutes.

    ReplyDelete